> If they're inside of WEB-INF, then they aren't accessible via a URL --
> something she wants, I think.

I should rephrase this.  If the files are stored inside of the WEB-INF,
they aren't *directly* accessible via a URL.

I personally opt to store uploaded files outside of the web-app's
file-system altogether.  This has to do with how easy it is to serve up
content with Java (and other languages, I'm sure) and the need to
physically separate the application's persistent data from the
application code.  This has to do with deployment and backup processes,
though.

- Dave