Rob Evans wrote:

Could be. I for one am still trying to nail down the issues. Why is
having a single WebApp that utilizes Inversion of Control and plugins
better than just having several webapps that use the same UI libraries
and abide by the same standards? From experience, I know that this has
not worked well for large teams, but I'm not I can clearly articulate
why, yet.

I agree totally.  Measure twice, cut once.  This may take ten measures.

I appreciate your interest and I'm flattered that you think this is a
good idea. Before we get to far down the road I'd like to surface more
of the problems and understand what it is we're talking about a little
more.

I could not agree, again, more. In the larger picture, you have to make sure your plans include eventual integration with IDEs. However, the biggest thing with component programming, I think, is to promote reuse by promoting the survival of the fittest plugin, which means creating a structure where anyone can plug in as deeply as can possibly be built into the struture. I do think that Struts' basic, core, architecture is a good, excellent, idea for a kernel. I am sure that Craig would have some thoughts about how he might do something different, if anything, at the core. If some direction from people with a larger perspective (like Craig and the other brigher lights in this area) were to be applied to a sort of online discussion of a wish list for a component framework core, that would be great. I would especially be interested myself in what Halloway would have to say. I think I am going to try and tweak his interest enough to get his thoughts on your notion.

Michael McGrady