> PROPOSAL/SUGGESTION

I was a big fan of the component software model
advocated by a technology called OpenDoc developed by
Apple, IBM, and Novell back in the mid 90's...

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDoc

Ironically, Steve Jobs killed off this technology
because the thought was that Java Beans would be a
better solution. This has not happened...yet. This is
probably because Sun did a lousy job of evangelizing
the potential of technologies like the "bean box" and
others in the "Glasgow" suite of Java Bean
technologies.

When I started doing web development I naturally
started looking for a similar software model and
framework that I could apply to this space. I believe
my wait is finally over and the answer is portlets...

   http://portals.apache.org/

Think of a portal as simply a collection of compound
documents made up of portlets and I think you will see
how I got here from there.

Even though this technology is in its infancy, I
believe that there has already been some movement in
the Struts community to provide support for JSR-168 in
an upcoming release. I will be doing all that I can to
ensure that this effort is successful. Before anyone
starts a new Struts branch, before fo so I urge them
to evaluate supporting the development of standardized
Struts portlets.

In regards to establishing an IDE for this technology
I would think that a portal for developing, or simply
assembing, portlets would be a natural solution.

Scott