I can see 3 issues:
1)Makes it very difficult to hand a file to a translator and tell them to
translate everything to the right of the equal.  You could howver provide a GUI
of some sort for the xlator.

2)Peformance.... typically the messages are loaded into an in memory hashtable,
and transported across the network.  This can of course, be worked around.

3)Re-inventing the wheel.

> 2.)Is anyone using a database-driven approach to this,
> storing application labels, etc. in tables and retrieving
> them. Possibly, by reimplementing versions of
> ResourceBundle/MessageResources to go against tables. You'd
> still have to update entries manually but I kind of like the
> idea of putting this info in the database.

Why?  what purpose does it serve?

> 3.)I know that some databases, Oracle, and I hear the newest
> version of MySQL support UTF-8. I've no experience in this
> area. Does anyone have experience with storing text in UTF-8
> in the database? This *seems* like it could be an ideal
> approach, eliminating alot of on-going work. Obviously, the
> app would be less portable.

Less portable, and standard.