Yes, it is rather confusing. I wasted *many* hours with this issue the first time it hit me!

Another poster also stated that putting the property name as "ECoupon" in the JSP would work - and thats because with a getter getECoupon() that IS the real property name (like your saying in the last line of your email).

Iirc the bean property capitalisation rules - which also cover multiple capital letters in a row - mean there is no equivalant getter for the property "eCoupon", instead its "ECoupon" that maps to the getter "getECoupon". So the fact here is that your _not_ naming your property "eCoupon" - your naming it "ECoupon"! :-)

(The internal varioable name might be eCoupon, but it could equally well be foo or bob, or anything - it doesnt matter for the determination of the property name and as far as code that works with JavaBeans is concerned that property is called "ECoupon" and not "eCoupon".

Daniel Perry wrote:

This is confusing.  The bean spec / article is talking about going from a
method name into a property name.  The problem here is the other way round.

Eg, decapitalise method->property will convert: getECoupon -> ECoupon
But it doesnt mention property->method capitalise: eCoupon -> getECoupon /
geteCoupon

I think the assumption has been made that if youre going to go from
getECoupon ->ECoupon that you must go from ECoupon->getECoupon and therefore
eCoupon->geteCoupon

However the spec doesnt say that this should be a reversible process, so why
not eCoupon->getECoupon

Daniel.