Without exception, every developer I have talked to personally that
has tried SpringMVC said it was way more complex than struts, and
ended up going back (almost all the way) to struts.

What I have heard is a killer combination is "Spring-managed Struts".
In this permutation, you use struts with a Spring-based request
processor instead of the default struts one. Then, you get much of the
benefit of using spring (managed beans, IoC, etc...) and continue to
use vanilla struts for the remainder of your application.

I have been hoping to use this model for the last month or so, but
have been too busy to try it myself. Stupid job. ;-)

Larry