One approach to building applications that is supported by Struts 1.3+
is to write a commons-chain based application and plug it into Struts,
however, that is only one approach while the existing Action class
approach still exists and will exist for a very long time.
Personally, I favor using either MappingDispatchAction, Struts Flow,
or a custom POJO action class ala JSF.

Therefore, Joe's statement is correct.  If you never messed with
RequestProcessor, the chain-based processor implementation will not
affect you.  It is kinda confusing, but the chain used for Struts is
not the same chain that Ted was talking about, and in fact, I believe
we are trying to separate the two to ensure a clean separation between
Struts and application logic.

Don