Thanks, Don.  This is really, really, helpful.  One last little
question, given this much, when there is talk that seems to envision
put action as a part of the chain, what does that relate to?  That
seemingly could not be the part that has a chain supplanting the
request processor "in" the action servlet.  However, that really does
not seem to be appropriate for the "application logic" chain either.
What is that about?  That is one place where I get confused.

<snip>
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:48:19 -0800, Don Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The inherent problem with following a developer list is you will hear
> many different opinions, usually with the goal of coming to an agreed
> solution or direction, but that direction, once agreed upon, usually
> isn't clearly laid out.  If you want clear direction, look at the user
> guide, release notes, or one of the many Struts books.  If you want to
> see all the discussion, debate, and exploration that is required to
> arrive at those directions, then follow the dev list. :)
>
> I felt you described the goal of using chain in the Request Processor
> very well - a pluggable process that the user can customize to their
> hearts content.  If you want to handle population through OGNL, then
> rewrite the PopulateActionForm command.  If you want to add a command
> that pulls a user profile out of the database and puts it in the
> request, go ahead and stick it in there.  If you don't want to use
> Actions at all, write your own Create/ExecuteAction commands.  In your
> case, if you don't want multi-part support, cut those actions out of
> your chain.

> Exactly, although I would add that second chain is optional as it
> might work well for some, but others, like me, would perfer other
> routes.

</snip>

Jack

"Heaven has changed.  The Sky now goes all the way to our feet.

~Dakota Jack~

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this