From: Scott Purcell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 2:56 PM
To: user@struts.apache.org
Subject: Need Database Connectivity Advice

I am at a crossroads of information today, and could use some advice.
Prior to using the Struts framework, I had a roll-your-own database
pooling solution that of course required threads and Vectors of
connections, etc. Upon the start of another new project, I found myself
Friday trying to figure out how to use the DBCP classes inside my Tomcat
server. As I do not understand the JNDI, etc. I had some trouble Friday
and over the weekend, getting all configured. And when I did get it work
work by their simple example, I ended up connecting in a JSP page, and
that is not what I want.

So reflecting to my book OReilly/Struts, I noticed that they use a
database persistance product. Something called ObjectRelationalBridge,
and use it with some design patterns that I am having trouble following.
I would like to possbily go this route, but I am confused at the Factory
references, etc. I don't know why I am having trouble understanding
this, but I am.

I had the weekend to try and get my bearings on how to start this new
web-app, and build it so I can war up and host at an ISP. I figured each
user on this list probably already connects, and has some great ideas to
throw my way.

I could really use some advice, on selecting the correct, both easy to
use, and reusable in the future solution for my connectivity dilemma.
The reason I found DBCP confusing, is that the directions for the Tomcat
5.5 show a JSP page, using JSTL commands, and I really do not want to
connect in JSP pages.

I would really appreciate any input, advice, links, how to advice, etc.

Sincerely
Scott K Purcell

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that the DnB NOR Group
cannot accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the DnB NOR Group.