Depending on your feelings towards paying for an O/R mapping solution, there are two long established O/R mapping mechanisms from Oracle.

   * TopLink
     (http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/toplink/index.html)
   * ADF Business Components
     (http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/index.html)

I'd recommend Business Components if you are from a relational background and tend to do your DB design up front and TopLink if the reverse is true and / or you don't have as much control as you'd like over the relational side and need more complex mapping capabilities.
Both frameworks handle pooling caching and so forth for you as you'd expect

With either framework you can integrate with Struts directly through code, or using the ADF Model framework <http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/collateral/papers/10g/adfm_overview.pdf> handle UI binding and method invocation from Struts Actions declaratively.
It's worth running through the online tour <http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/viewlets/10g/ADFOverview_viewlet_swf.html> to get an idea what it's all about in any case, more to illustrate the levels of productivity O/R mapping frameworks should aspire to if nothing else.

Duncan
http://www.groundside.com/blog

Scott Purcell wrote:

I am at a crossroads of information today, and could use some advice. Prior to
using the Struts framework, I had a roll-your-own database pooling solution
that of course required threads and Vectors of connections, etc. Upon the start
of another new project, I found myself Friday trying to figure out how to use
the DBCP classes inside my Tomcat server. As I do not understand the JNDI, etc.
I had some trouble Friday and over the weekend, getting all configured. And
when I did get it work work by their simple example, I ended up connecting in a
JSP page, and that is not what I want.

So reflecting to my book OReilly/Struts, I noticed that they use a database
persistance product. Something called ObjectRelationalBridge, and use it with
some design patterns that I am having trouble following. I would like to
possbily go this route, but I am confused at the Factory references, etc. I
don't know why I am having trouble understanding this, but I am.

I had the weekend to try and get my bearings on how to start this new web-app,
and build it so I can war up and host at an ISP. I figured each user on this
list probably already connects, and has some great ideas to throw my way.

I could really use some advice, on selecting the correct, both easy to use, and
reusable in the future solution for my connectivity dilemma. The reason I found
DBCP confusing, is that the directions for the Tomcat 5.5 show a JSP page,
using JSTL commands, and I really do not want to connect in JSP pages.

I would really appreciate any input, advice, links, how to advice, etc.

Sincerely
Scott K Purcell