Macros are an absolute must for me, and it's art of the reason I still use nothing but UltraEdit... all the fancy code refactoring tools and such that all the IDEs have I wind up doing in macros, and I have more control over how they work, at least, it sure feels like I do.

I'm going to have another look at IDEA though... I've frankly never felt like I needed anything an IDE gives me (except for integrated debugging of webapps, that is one thing I would definitely like to have), but if I find one that feels right I wouldn't have a problem switching.

P.S., the guys that do UltraEdit are coming out with a new product, IIRC called UltraStudio... supposed to be a more full-featured IDE but with UltraEdit at the core... if they include plug-in support, that could be the ultimate for me.

Frank

Dave Newton wrote:
Larry Meadors wrote:

It takes a while to really get into IDEA, once you do, everything else feels like notepad or gedit. :-)

XML editing? Got it, complete with tag and attribute completion.
JSP editing? Got it, and it is as good as or better than the netbeans editor (that says alot).
Java editing? Almost orgasmic..it really does make your code better.
Refactoring? Ohhhh baby!

The only things that I can think of that it *could* do better are SVN support (but with tortoise svn, you do not really need that) and code folding in non-java files (jEdit still rules in that area).

Except for the crappy editor in Eclipse (a programmer's editor without macros?!?!?!) it seems to do a pretty good job with the addition of MyEclipse (~$30/yearly) although I've seen a few minor complaints and bugs. Has the same (or similar, perhaps slightly less functional?) features: XML editing and tag completion for XML and JSP, code completion inside JSP, Pretty Good refactoring support.

There is an SVN plugin (as well as the usual suspects, although I recall one company having issues with the Perforce plugin, like CVS, Visual SourceSafe, etc.) that works just fine for me. Tortoise is a fine working solution, but I hate having to go out of my editor to do anything (Emacs! Whoohoo!)

I have definitely found code completion and refactoring support to be _mandatory_ when developing Java code. I'd like to use IDEA but for some reason the folks that buy my software really don't care about me and want to give me the best tools possible.

Humour/Sad story: Right now I'm using Eclipse for Java (usually, switch to Emacs for hard stuff) and am mostly satisfied. before I got here they were using Allaire Homesite.

Don't ask, 'cuz I don't know. Of course, all the old apps use fake custom tags (parse a text file on every page hit, grep for things that look like custom tags, run special code to insert stuff into the text file, etc. Like real custom tags but suckier) and all the code (including helper classes/methods/etc.) are in included JSP files, making it essentially impossible to document, etc.

See, if they had told me all THAT before I got here...

Dave

-- Frank W. Zammetti Founder and Chief Software Architect Omnytex Technologies http://www.omnytex.com