On Jun 2, 2005, at 1:46 AM, Laurie Harper wrote:

I'm guessing (from other posts in this thread) you're a little older than I am. That would make your high school pretty impressively forard-looking...!

I attended the first computer class given at my high school in 1965. It was kind of a funny situation - one other student and I taught the teacher, who then taught the rest of the class. The two of us had been messing about with computers for two years at that point, and knew a LOT more than the teacher. The course was taught from an obscure little book which illustrated all of its concepts in an assembler code for a non-existent machine. To facilitate the class, I wrote an emulator (in FORTRAN) for the assembler language which was used for several years after I graduated. It was a fun time to be into computers - when most people still didn't know what a computer was.