Michael Jouravlev wrote:

> First of all, to get it over with, Struts Dialogs has plans to combine
> Action and ActionForm but it is not there yet :)
>
> Second, the concept of Struts Dialogs is different. Stephen wants to
> have one class -> one page relation. JSF or ASP.NET is the way to go
> in this case. My library DOES NOT maintain one-to-one relations of
> Java class to a page. Quite contrary, the whole idea is to serve
> *different* pages from *one* location. And, if no other hi-tech stuff
> like mod-rewrite is used, it means to serve different pages from one
> action. This is NOT what Stephen wants.
>
> On the other hand, Stephen, why do you want to have one class per
> page?

Because I don't want to have to have two classes per page. :)

Let me clarify that I'm not arguing for one class per page: in fact, I don't
mind having one class backing multiple pages. Just as Struts allows for one
ActionForm that backs multiple JSP's, my approach allows for one
SimpleActionForm that backs multiple JSP's. I've been working this afternoon on
just such a use case.

What I'm wanting is an explanation of why I should keep the ActionForm class
_separate_ from the Action class. It seems to me that this unnecessarily
complicates the application design.

> Page is not what you load by browser. You load a resource, which
> can potentially generate many different pages.

I'm not sure I follow. Can you explain further with an example? I do want to
understand.

Thanks for your understanding and thoughtful response, Michael.

Stephen