We use an Axis SOAP interface to communicate to our session beans. I don't necessarily recommend it, but it does the trick nonetheless...

Regarding EJBs, we saw significant performance hits when conducting heavy CMP crunching. A simple solution was to employ direct JDBC calls within the session beans. This increased performance 10-fold, in some cases.

Mike

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I don't understand Dave's concern. Perhaps he would elaborate on why he says to
avoid Session beans.

I have developed applications using Session beans wrapping DAOs for search,
etc., along with timer-reloading Entity beans and have seen good results.
However, it may be that he would favor POJOs if the container isn't really
giving your app anything (why go through the trouble of EJB in other words). In
my case I found plenty of benefit in the declarative transaction handling alone.

As for business delegate + session facade. Sure, I can see a case for that. You
are adding more complexity, but, your Struts actions shouldn't need to interact
with EJB in an ideal world, even if it's a facade-level EJB. I like to have
actions access a Manager (aka business delegate) only. Everything else is
hidden behind the manager (whether that be EJB access, direct DAO access, or
some combination).

Another camp would tell you to just use something like a business delegate + iBatis or Hibernate. I cannot comment as I have not used that approach. Personally, I like to write all my own SQL (along with everything else you can write).
Erik