Session Beans are absolute performance killers, and a huge ressource eater.

And I think the proper question is not "why to avoid session beans" but
"why use session beans in this application".

I think it's the question you should answer, and you should review the usage
of every piece
of third party software. If you can't answer the question "why do i use this
framework/lib/software" you probably shouldn't use it.

Regards
Leon