On 7/26/05, John Henry Xu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Craig said:You can't properly measure a technology's overall success on
> a single
> > criteria like this.
>
> Craig, you are absolutely right. Maybe there is a better way to measure
> technologies based on broader criteria. The problem was I (or public)
> could not access proprietary networks as you said. I used search engines
> a lot recently. Many topics I searched come up sites in PHP and cgi. For
> example, I found www.javaworld.com, the site runs "Apache/1.3.26,  Unix,
> mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a ,   mod_perl/1.27". It likes cgi, isn't it?

No ... that just means they have PERL installed on their installation
of the app server, with no indication what else is going on.  That has
absolutely nothing to do with what technologies are actually used on
that site (which happens to have a combination, so how are you going
to count that? :-).

> Again, I agree with you that maybe many hidden sites were Java but we
> don't know.

Then why are you trying to make any assumptions?  You claim to be a
journalist ... do some research and justify your findings :-)

Of course, you're going to find it very difficult to find many
meaningful metrics for open source projects.  Let's consider one
commonly used one ... download counts.  On an Apache project, there is
zero way to know what that count is, because good projects take
advantage of the Apache mirror system, and there is no central
accumulation of the overall stats (because the mirror sites consider
that information to be proprietary).  I can tell you that, a couple of
years ago, before Struts started using the mirrors it would get about
70k downloads per month ... nowdays, it gets 15k-20k from the Apache
site and a totally unknown number from the mirrors.  So, has the total
gone up or down?  Darned if I know.

But I do know a few other numbers .... consider downloads of the J2EE
1.4 implementation from Sun (or the 8.0 or later PE version of the app
server, but can be downloaded for free) which come with JSF.  You need
seven digits (i.e. millions) to count these numbers ... yet Sun's
overall penetration in the app server space is relatively small.  Is
Tomcat in the millions yet?  (Answer:  probably, but not as many :-).

Tell me again how you come to the conclusion that Java is not a
popular platform for web app deployments?  (To say nothing of the fact
that Microsoft might dispute the "PHP is king" rubric as well :-).

> John Henry Xu

Craig