> Craig said: Tell me again how you come to the conclusion that Java is
not a
> popular platform for web app deployments? (To say nothing of the fact
> that Microsoft might dispute the "PHP is king" rubric as well :-).

Craig, I assure you that I always hope Java success and I do think it
popular for web app. The only thing I think I said Java was not doing
well as PHP is that PHP becomes more popular in public sites. I mentioned
all opensource and other public sites use PHP as evidence, and search
engines showes php sites frequently. And as I said before, I agree with
you that maybe broad criteria should be used. We just have to find a way
how to get those private numbers.

> > example, I found www.javaworld.com, the site runs "Apache/1.3.26,
Unix,
> > mod_gzip/1.3.19.1a , mod_perl/1.27". It likes cgi, isn't it?
> >

> No ... that just means they have PERL installed on their installation
> of the app server, with no indication what else is going on. That has
> absolutely nothing to do with what technologies are actually used on
> that site (which happens to have a combination, so how are you going
> to count that? :-).

If it uses Java in Apache, I may find mod_jk, or jsp, .do?... I found
.shtml mostly.

I agree with you here that it is difficult to find exacty what
technologies it use. That is another reason why it is difficult to use
some  criteria determine the overall success as you said. Indeed it is
hard to compare private sites.

> Craig said: But I do know a few other numbers .... consider downloads
of the J2EE
> 1.4 implementation from Sun (or the 8.0 or later PE version of the app
> server, but can be downloaded for free) which come with JSF. You need
> seven digits (i.e. millions) to count these numbers ... yet Sun's
> overall penetration in the app server space is relatively small. Is
> Tomcat in the millions yet? (Answer: probably, but not as many :-).

The facts you mentioned certainly supported Java is popular in web
development. And I am glad to see these numbers.