This was the point i was making early on.

PHP is cheaper than java - in almost all ways.

Hosting: You can host php sites for a couple of pounds a month. Can you do
that with java?

Development: it's much easier to learn to make a PHP+Mysql databased web
site. Therefore programmers are cheaper.  Projects are cheaper. Therefore
more web design companies use php rather than java.

Servers: php has minimal overheads. It doesnt use a lot of memory, and it's
pretty efficient at executing pages (in mod_php mode rather than cgi).  It's
probably not as good as already-compiled jsps, but similar.  Java has huge
memory overheads. e.g. on one of our servers, httpd (inc php) is using 10MB,
Tomcat is using 140MB.  Tomcat has 4 apps (all small), php 38.

Most of our php apps are hosted on one server.  Most of our java apps have a
server each, and are on various companies intranets.  But most of our java
apps are much larger than the php ones - and a lot more maintainable!

Dont get me wrong. I much prefer writing systems using Struts, and push for
it.  But, we wont be doing all our sites in java anytime soon, as it's
cheaper to make small datbased sites in php.

Daniel.