I think I need clarify my statements before.

> Craig, I assure you that I always hope Java success and I do think it
> popular for web app. The only thing I think I said Java was not doing
> well as PHP is that PHP becomes more popular in public sites.

>>That is definitely what you claimed.  I claim that such a standard is
>>irrelevant.

I just try to find where I said Java, as a whole, is not popular in web
application from my previous email. Unfortunately I can not find that
statement. Can someone post my original saying so I can find it? I really
like to know where I said that statement.

> [snip]
> >
> > If it uses Java in Apache, I may find mod_jk, or jsp, .do?... I found
> > .shtml mostly.
> >

> Consider a Struts based web site that maps "*.html" to the Struts
> action servlet (and there are more such sites on the public Internet
> than you would possibly believe :-). Your approach is going to come
> to the mistaken conclusion that this is a static HTML based site
> instead of a Struts based site. Actually, my favorite sites are the
> ones that map "*.asp" to the Struts servlet. Gotta love people that
> bend minds like that!
>
> But the serious point is that, if you think you can conclude anything
> based on the textual content of a URL, you are naively mistaken. Only
> the server you are calling knows for sure what technologies are used
> to produce a particular response.

Did I say I can conclude based on textual content of a URL? Someone
please find where I said that also. I really want see how I "concluded"
that.

What I say was that there is No Evidence that www.javaworld.com uses java
in their site. If someone have evidence, please let me know. I really
like to see how and why that site tried to hide java implementation.  Am
I so naive about thinking html is static site? Just go to our sites, see
all the html there. If someone think those html are real html, they are
wrong.

>>Actually, my favorite sites are the
> ones that map "*.asp" to the Struts servlet. Gotta love people that
> bend minds like that!

I cannot imagine what motivates people tried to map there servlets to
.asp. Even I could easily map my site to .aspx, I would not do that.
Although I respect MS, I am not really a huge fun of Microsoft. If I
implement sites with Java, I want java take credits. If I implement sites
in PHP, I want PHP take credits, I would not map that to .asp. If I use
.net, I don't map it to jsp also.  If I saw a site ends with .php or
.aspx, I assume that was a php and .net site, and I belieave I am right
on that with 99% confidence.

John H. Xu

http://www.usanalyst.com

http://www.GetusJobs.com (The largest free job portal in North America)