A good starting point would be Mastering JavaServer Faces, which does
a good job of comparing Struts, JSF, and Swing in the context of
introducing JSF.

*
http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=278

My favorite book for Struts newbies is Struts for Dummies

*
http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=278

Pro Spring has some nice chapters on Hibernate and iBATIS, as well as
excellent coverage of both Spring and Spring MVC.

* http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590594614/apachesoftwar-20/

Pro Sping is a huge book, but you don't have to read it all. :)

After that, my advice would be to design a test workflow of your own
that represents some miniscule piece of your application. Maybe a
single find/list/view/edit workflow for the simplest entity you are
likely to have, and try implementing it with the likely suspects.

If your project hasn't selected a source repository, Subversion is
about the best there is :)

*  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131855182/apachesoftwar-20/

And, just to round things out, my favorite IDEs are still by JetBrains

* http://www.jetbrains.com/

HTH, Ted.