> With IT, I've noticed that previous knowledge only helps slightly.

 > Previous experience becomes much less important.

Not in my book. I wrote my first program in the 70s and over the years I've
seen people enter the field and make the same mistakes I had made a lot
earlier (as expected, as nobody is born knowledgeable already).

Also, there are many parallelisms between the current state of affairs and the
one from years ago. The useful thing is to see the patterns and avoid getting
mired in the details.