On 9/16/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm preparing to make a case for switching to a differenct SCM tool
> (source code management).   The options are CVS, Perforce, and VSS.
>
> Anybody have any cogent/credible stories or arguments for choosing one
> over the other?

Perforce: small, efficient, geeky, takes some getting used to after
StarTeam or VSS. Nice feature - transactional check-in, that is, if
error occurred when checking in a group of files, all group is not
checked in.

VSS: maybe now it is better, but 5 years ago it was very basic.

CVS: Need to take care of CVS directories, if you remove them, then
synchronization can be a problem. Though, I am not a CVS pro. Setting
up a client takes some knowledge in regards to passwords and
protocols. I could not set up WinCVS and installed TortoiseCVS
instead.

StarTeam: this is what we use now. Windows only, but pretty nice. Easy
to see all versions of file, easy to compare versions. This is what I
like about StarTeam: select a file and all its history with dates,
comments are immediately in front of you. Moving Java class is a
semi-manual process, since you need to update package name in the file
too, and StarTeam cannot do this for you. Possible to edit unlocked
file, and to merge later.