On Oct 4, 2005, at 9:34 AM, Leon Rosenberg wrote:

In my limited experience with JSF it does not seem to contain
templating capabilities.  So in Struts classic I would use Tiles for
creating site templates as well as reusable views (or component-based
views).  But with JSF Tiles still proves useful for templating and
for further breaking up view components into smaller reusable
pieces.    But, honestly, I have yet to use the two together simply
because I haven't built a real app on JSF yet.  So much of my view is
based on conceptual thinking and not real world experience.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept completely, but I thought JSF
goal would be to create a component structure (tree) which allows
itself to be rendered with a special rendering kit to anything. So in
case I have template-able html (or whatever) code, I define a new
component, which manages exactly this piece of resulting code and
provide a renderer for it. What am i getting false?

I don't have any experience with the render kit, so I may have missed the point of it. Keep in mind that my comments are based on very limited experience with JSF so I hope if I've missed something someone else will correct me. But, when going through some tutorials and creating very simple pages I still found Tiles useful for templating. I'll leave it to someone more familiar with JSF to say for sure :-)

Greg