One second is much too short as most users won't be able to enter data
on a web form and click submit :-) but one or two minutes might be
more realistic.

However, even with a suitably short timeout, if a user is actively
submitting forms or requesting pages, the session will never go away
so the server won't go down.

If this is a production system, you might try persisting the sessions
or go with a cluster with sessions persisted between them with a
front-end server (could be apache+mod_jk) that will round-robin
requests and automatically direct requests to the box that's up if one
goes down. This is a lot of work to configure and run, and my
suspicion is this is overkill for your setup :-)

-ed