Surely they thought about this and decided there was some reason not to make
the constants available in the tags.  Or was it just too difficult a task for
some finite period of development time?

 --- On Tue 01/24, Dave Newton < [EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
From: Dave Newton [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: user@struts.apache.org
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:12:09 -0500
Subject: Re: constant strings in the tags

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:> But I want to be able to do something like>>
<c:out value="${Constants.USER.name}"/>>>> I've never actually tried this.
Maybe I should before posting this, but I don't know why it would work.  I
thought the EL only had access to bean properties?  So why would it be able to
access a field directly?>   Ah. Can't.Sucks, huh? As Rahul said, push for the
fix.In general, when I've dealt with strong separation between presentationand
back-end teams, I've just said "Hey, you have access to somethingthrough the
'user' name and here's what a 'user' has for you..." If itneeds to change (I
don't think I've ever actually changed one) then Iwould have just passed on the
change.One project I was marginally involved on (over-)used custom tags
tohandle issues like this, so the page designer would just say
<x:userproperty="name"/> etc. Didn't care for it myself, but JSP 2.0
didn'texist yet, and we were all pretty anti-scriptlet, so
unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]