From: Vu, Thai [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 10:57 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: With a new project, what technologies should I use?

Hello everybody,

Could you give me some advices?

Assume that I know how to use Struts, Hibernate, iBATIS and know nothing
about Spring, JSF (but willing to learn :) ). Now what should I use if I
have to write a new web application? And correct me if I'm wrong
anywhere please.

I heard that Spring helps us write less code (by declaring beans with
their own names in xml files, whenever we need a bean, just call that
name) and helps us in transactions (I don't know exactly if we use
Spring for transaction management what we can get. Could someone write a
few words here?)

I heard that JSF is best used for the view tier in the MVC model (I've
just read an article by Craig McClanahan named `The Best of Both Worlds:
Integrating JSF with Struts in Your J2EE Applications on Oracle website,
but it seems to me that that article applies to existing Struts
applications, not new ones). And if I should use JSF, which JSF
implementation should I use? Sun Reference Implementation or MyFaces or
Oracle ADF? I also heard that ADF provides the most components among
those 3 and it's just gone open-source (i.e. we can use it for free). Or
Shale (as far as I know, it is a mixture of Struts and JSF. Am I
right?)?

Awaiting for your advices.

Sincerely.