Jonathan Revusky wrote:
> No, they're not insofar as code is code. However, there are huge
> differences in the motivations and in the overall sociology or
> dynamics of the situation though. In the open-source case, nobody is
> working on some project that they find uninteresting because their boss
> assigned them to that. If you're not interested, you simply don't
> commit code, good or bad.

Generally that's probably true, but I do know people who have been
assigned to open-source projects by their managers; their own personal
interest wasn't the motivator.

> People who volunteer to work on open source are the kinds of people
> who code for the joy of coding.

Hopefully that's generally true, but it's certainly not an absolute.

And enjoying coding is quite different from being able to code well.

>> I know _I_ don't have the time to review each and every patch that comes
>> in to a repo.
> Well, are you suggesting that people should be donating code via the
> bug tracker or wherever and nobody is necessarily reviewing it?
>
> If the code has to be reviewed one way or the other, it is surely the
> same amount of work.

The code review time itself might be the same, but if unreviewed code is
commited the amount of work necessary may increase.

Also note that my objections to unfettered access to the repo (at least
partially) go away if there aren't many committers and a low number of
commits; less to deal with.

But the bottom line is that I have a lot of stuff going on in my life
and simply don't have the time to devote to making sure other people
don't break my toys.

>> I'm still not going to give commit access to anybody that asks for it
>> because _I_ haven't found that it works well.
> I asked you before when you had actually tried this. I mean, in an
> open-source context. As I point out above, the company context is
> quite different.
>
> So I don't think you answered my question.

I have no publicly-accessible open-source projects. If I did, I would
not give commit access to anybody that asked for it, because I do not
have the time to review the contributions of others and do not trust J.
Random Coder enough to assume that they'll do the Right Thing, because
in general, most people aren't very good programmers.

Again, YMMV, and hopefully has!

>> If you have, that's great, and I'm glad it's working for you, and I
>> hope it continues to.
> It's not just working for me. It's working for a lot of people. A lot
> of people use FreeMarker, you know.

That's a pretty small sample size, but good :)

Dave