Dave Newton wrote:
Jonathan Revusky wrote:

<snip>

I have no publicly-accessible open-source projects. If I did, I would
not give commit access to anybody that asked for it, because I do not
have the time to review the contributions of others and do not trust J.
Random Coder enough to assume that they'll do the Right Thing, because
in general, most people aren't very good programmers.

The whole idea that, when you give somebody commit privileges, that they just go beserk committing all kinds of code of questionable quality -- this is just not something that really happens. I recognize that it could happen. Also it could happen that you give commit privileges to someone who is outright malicious. However, the latter would be so infrequent really that, IMO, it's not an issue. If a wandering serial saboteur -- the Ted Bundy of open source coding, if you will -- happens to get involved in your project, well, I would attribute that to inordinate bad luck, maybe like walking down the street and getting struck by lightning. Possible, but so unlikely that it does not condition your decision making.

What usually happens is that people sound all enthusiastic about doing stuff and then, when they have the commit access, they simply do nothing. That is what happens easily the vast majority of times. People overestimate the time they can devote to something. They underestimate the investment that it is to really get their heads around the code.

When people do start using their commit privileges they are usually quite timid about it initially and initiate discussion on your list prior to doing anything remotely controversial. People typically start off doing very small localized things. And these things are not very time consuming for the more established people on the team to review.

One thing that would be possible is to encourage people to get their legs by doing things like working on unit tests and javadoc comments and so on. Most projects, unfortunately, have too little of both of those things and letting people in to initially work on that is quite low risk.

That would provide a way for poeople to gradually get into the swing of things. I think that any people managing an open source project have to be thinking about how to get new blood into the project.

Again, YMMV, and hopefully has!

If you have, that's great, and I'm glad it's working for you, and I
hope it continues to.

It's not just working for me. It's working for a lot of people. A lot
of people use FreeMarker, you know.

That's a pretty small sample size, but good :)

Be that as it may, apparently it's infinitely greater than your experience running open source projects.

Anyway, this is getting sterile. I've made my point. It is my considered view that this idea that the ability to commit code is something that needs to be this zealously guarded is not well founded.

Probably a project like Struts would benefit from drastically lowering the bar to becoming a committer.

The problem is that they've created this political structure where they've defined committers as people with political power and non-committers as people with no political power and so it has to do with a certain clique retaining their power. It has basically nothing to do with guarding the quality of the code.

Actually, it is probable that being politically correct (less likely to disagree with the current clique) is a greater factor in becoming a committer than coding prowess is.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky
FreeMarker group blog, http://freemarker.blogspot.com/

Dave