While I understand that people want a separate mailing list, and at
times I believed the same thing, the fact is that most questions to
this list will be about 2.x. The reason is because, imo, 1.x has been
out for 7 years and virtually every possible question and answer has
been given -- there's simply not much of a need to ask if you can
already find your answer through an Internet search (like Google or
Nabble).

With that said, I also agree with Frank's point that separate mailing
lists also tend to divide the community. Believe it or not, there's
also one mailing list for Struts committers too -- so the Apache folks
who write Struts also get to see all the activity from 1.x and 2.x.
That's a good idea because we're one (read: ONE) community. Just as
Apache doesn't have a Tomcat 4 mailing list, a Tomcat 5, Tomcat 6, etc,
neither should we have here.