I'm a fan of YUI myself.

A good way to go with Struts/Ajax integration is to make an ordinary
request to an action, and then return a JSON response. This provides
the benefits of JSON, but avoid some of the overhead of a JSON/RPC
call.

I actually did a presentation at the Boston Ajax Experience on this
topic. The slides can be found here:

 * http://www.StrutsUniversity.org/Coding+Ajax+Applications+with+Struts

HTH, Ted
<http://www.StrutsMentor.com/>