Marc Eckart wrote:
Hmm, in our case the single applications should not know it they are running
in a portal or somewhere else. They should just see their context, nothing
else.

In my experience, which I admit was a while back and fairly limited, a portlet is specifically written as a portlet, i.e., it knows it's running within a portal and acts accordingly. Your requirements seem to say otherwise, so I'm thinking one strike against a portal approach.

Another question to hold the application in simple divs:
How does the action handling works if I include the applications in simple
divs? If they redirect after an action to a jsp will they stay in the div or
fill the whole page?

Those types of things would affect the larger page, without modifying the application hosted in the <div>. I'm thinking that's a strike against a simple <div>-based approach.

Kind of coming back to frames I think :) The question then is whether frames is viable or not... if the apps are all hosted under the same domain, your life is a lot easier. If not, trouble abounds!

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
 (2006, Apress, ISBN 1-59059-695-1)