Yes exactly!!! Hence I was wondering how I can work around it. I guess I'll
have to roll back or write my own select thing iterating through the list
and doing (listKey)([0]), (listValue)([0]) :(. My god I wish I understand
what select.ftl is doing.

(FYI, the OGNL conversion section says "todo" :) In this case it's not quite
as straight-forward, though, since the OP was *relying* on the ability to
have the expression pre-evaluated before it hit OGNL.