Hi Shekher,
i'm no expert in this subject but,
You might read something abut RUP (rational unified process),
then read abut Agile and XP and SCRUM - it's not strictly about design
but it will give some light about the whole process.
In the mean time try to imagine how this app will look like,
and how You can present it to others - there are many tools for that,
and most likely You will use more than one.
You can take a look at Rails framework,
and how are common problems solved there.

Think about such things as:
- presentation layer (You have stated it will be struts)(maybe do some
wireframes)
- persistence
- bussiness logic
- comunication with outside world - maybe?
- environement to run it

This is very wide subject, but in the end it's all about a common sense.

Best greetings,
Paweł Wielgus.