I believe it is up to the container how the event -> render transition
is implemented. I don't think there's any guarantee that it's actualy
a redirect. If you have several portlets on the page, you could check
that the transition is ok by clicking on a an action/link in a
different portlet, and see that only the render phase is executed in
your struts2 portlet.

Nils-H