This question has been asked and answered quite a few times. I agree
the documentation should reflect this; as we're a volunteer group all
assistance is appreciated. Feel free to file a CLA and update the docs
to accurately reflect current behavior, and add entries to the FAQ if
it addresses a typical pain point.

And my book specifically *did* address many types of best practices,
but mine, like all other books, have a limited number of pages, and
which information is included/excluded is not always up to the author.

The reason the docs for checkbox don't address this typical case is
because it has nothing specifically to do with checkboxes.

If you're having a specific issue, post your code, configuration, and
Struts version, otherwise we can't really help.

Dave