Thanks for the feedback guys.  I haven't tried the plugin below, but
wouldn't using the maven 2 plugin to generate a jar, then pointing Eclipse
to it accomplish the same thing?  This is what I have for my pom.  If I look
at the class files that are created within the jar, they're the same ones
that are getting copied with the plugin you suggested.  Any ideas why it
works when you use the plugin, but why the jar that appears to have the same
binaries doesn't?

<plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>xmlbeans-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>xmlbeans</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
                <inherited>true</inherited>
                <configuration>
                    <schemaDirectory>src/main/xsd</schemaDirectory>
                    <download>true</download>
                    <outputJar>
                        target/eclipse/xmlbeans-eclipse-runtime.jar
                    </outputJar>
                    <javaSource>1.5</javaSource>
                    <!-- <noJavac>true</noJavac> -->
                </configuration>