Hi guys,
  I wanted to thank everyone for their help.  I finally got it working.
Basically, I used the plugin and dependencies below only.  Then I just added
the jar that is generated by the plugin to the eclipse classpath manually.
Once I did that, everything worked!

    <plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>xmlbeans-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>xmlbeans</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
                <inherited>true</inherited>
                <configuration>
                    <schemaDirectory>src/main/xsd</schemaDirectory>
                    <download>true</download>
                    <outputJar>
                        target/eclipse/xmlbeans-eclipse-runtime.jar
                    </outputJar>
                    <javaSource>1.5</javaSource>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>