Hi Ming,

Huang, Ming wrote:

> Hi
>
> We recently updated xstream from from version 1.3.1 to 1.4.7 in our
> application. We found that the application would sometimes hang. Doing
> jstack and found that the threads were in the lines of at

com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.util.PrioritizedList.iterator(PrioritizedList.java:44).
> Attached is the full stack.  Can someone help me on this? Do I need to put
> synchronized around XStream.toXML() call?

Normally no, XStream is thread-safe for concurrent
marshalling/unmarshalling. Unless you process annotations on-the-fly,
XStream documentation contains a lot of warnings about it:

http://xstream.codehaus.org/faq.html#Scalability_Thread_safety
http://xstream.codehaus.org/annotations-tutorial.html#AutoDetect
http://xstream.codehaus.org/javadoc/com/thoughtworks/xstream/XStream.html
http://xstream.codehaus.org/javadoc/com/thoughtworks/xstream/XStream.html#autodetectAnnotations(boolean)

So, how do you setup your XStream instance? Which Java VM you are using?

Cheers,
Jörg