you will have to ask your DB driver supplier to explain the
com.jnetdirect.jsql.x: DBComms.transmit
> exception:[java.net.SocketException error in more detail.

As far as having to restart the broker for that specific error, it
would be a no, because the the clean up task is periodic and can
handle failing everyone in a while.  It will just pickup cleaning
where it left off the next time it runs.  If it fails every time, the
old acked messages are not going to get propertly deleted out of your
database.