Thank you Gary.

I had found another post regarding this same 'disconnected durable
subscriber' issue.
Simply saying 'BPEL should correctly disconnect', does not help if the BPEL
server should happen to fail - power, hardware, network disconnect, etc. The
new connection needs to replace the old, if it can be shown that the old is
dead. I have no idea if this is possible.

Regarding the 'connecting to itself', I will attempt to obtain more info,
maybe the Snapshot version, once I get the wildcard setting done, does not
have the problems with regard to durable subscribers. It's entirely possible
my bumbling attempts at configuration introduced the problem itself. I will
have another crack and get back.

...Lyall