Two questions:
1) Is asyncSend set to true by default if I am using non-persistent
messaging?  The line of code where this is determined is ActiveMQSession
line 1670, 1680:

            if (sendTimeout <= 0 && !msg.isResponseRequired() &&
!connection.isAlwaysSyncSend() && (!msg.isPersistent() ||
connection.isUseAsyncSend() || txid != null)) {
                this.connection.asyncSendPacket(msg);

It looks like I need to set the sendTimeout to less than zero or make sure
that a response is not required on the message to guarantee that asyncSend
is being used.  Any recommendations?

2) Would I experience faster throughput if I used persistent messaging with
asyncSend instead?