Yes, topics are durable.

Test case:
1. publish messages to queue, let several hundred thousand accumulate.
2. publish topics to queue, let several hundred thousand accumulate
3. begin consuming from queue.
4. begin consuming from topic.

You should see a huge degrade in performance and a bunch of indexing
messages once you start to consume from topic.