There is a "strictOrderDispatch" attribute that changes the dispatch
algorithm for queues, a consumer will continue to get messages till its
prefetch is reached. It is set via a destination policy.

In addition, there is a new "usePrefetchExtension" attribute that ensures
that a message will only be delivered to a transacted consumer when it
predecessor is acked rather than delivered. This attribute (
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2651) is only available on
trunk  (or a 5.4 snapshot) atm.

You may also be interested in the the camel based solution to redelivery
processing from https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-2710 (see the
subversion commit tab to see the source). You can build the delay into camel
pending the scheduled delivery feature in 5.4.