Going the servlet route.. Your app is running on a main server, not a virtual
one I am guessing.
Mine is virtual and with the apache config you spec'd, I understand it was a
starting point.
I have ActiveMQ 5.4.2 running on the same server. Jetty.xml is in the
activemq.xml file, so Ajax servlet should be there. Using the
amq_prototype_adapter.js.

I have a Ruby app on :8080 on that same server that serves up a page.
The page calls amq.init with "\amq" onload. Using the ProxyPass etc in
Apache with web logs set to debug.
As my GET goes out to \amq, I see in the apache logs the proxy getting setup
to from the web client to localhost:8161 then back from 8161 to /amq. There
is a body send, body end and a release. then the dame thing all over again
in the apache error_log. I can see the client cycling like mad with multiple
GETs to /amq. The Firebug log fills up in no time.
Is this something in particular with the amq.js?

Did you start at this point as well when you brought your app up with this
setup?
Trying to figure out where to go from here.

Thanks!

Phil