the dlq should behave like any other queue w.r.t a network.
One thing to note however, it that a message will only be bridged
once, so if a message is forwarded from A->B it won't by default get
forwarded back from B->A.

I wonder if that is is occurring in your scenario. It could be if your
consumer bounces between brokers, because it will create demand and
suck messages across the bridge even if it does not consume them all.

some more detail at:
http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.html#NetworksofBrokers-StuckMessages%28version5.6%29