You are still bound to connect retries and TTLs. So I would say that a good
reaction time would be 30s.  You can decrease that but I am not sure I
recommend it.

It's up to you thought.  If I was implementing my own system I would prefer
the cloud infra since you are AWS.  I believe that's what most cloud
systems do on their back end when you hire Messaging for instance.  Just
trying to help.