Although I strongly recommend you (and everyone) use both of those settings
unless there's a clear reason not to (and I didn't even consider the
possibility of you not having them on), I expect that conduitSubscriptions
will make the lion's share of the difference. Without it, brokers must pass
many copies of each message (and must write each one to the persistence
store, which is the bottleneck), so it's no surprise that performance is
significantly worse than expected.

Let us know what you see with both those settings on.