Messages will go to the DLQ because the redelivery count is > the
configured. The message will be redelivered because the client
rejected it...

Different than OpenWire messages, messages are redelivered through the
server, always.. on OpenWire the client will redeliver the message and
the client would be able to set the cause if any... on Artemis..
messages will always go back to the server.. so there is no coupling
between the two that would allow you to setup the cause anywhere.

Even though in OpenWire you can probably only do that on MDBs as the
Resource Adapter would catch the exceptions.. any other mechanism and
you won't have a hook to capture anything.