By default, the failover transport attempts to connect to the child URIs in
order. That doesn't mean it considers the first one to be the master, just
that it tries the first one first.

When the client doesn't attempt to connect to the secondary broker, that
means it's successfully connecting to the first broker. That means that
either the first broker failed to shut down (the logs may tell you why), or
it shut down fine but you brought it back up and it failed to detect that
the second broker was the master (which would mean you haven't set up the
shared filesystem KahaDB correctly).

Tim