Here's a simplified diagram of my broker network:

<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n4729601/Broker_Network.png>

Application 1 and Application 2 both both use messaging internally. Their
messages do not need to be distributed across the broker network.

The applications consume messages from the clients that all connect to
Broker 3. However, processing of those messages is relatively slow.
Therefore, Broker 1 and Broker 2 are configured with destination policies
for the external destinations so they do not consume 100% of the brokers'
resources, and we enable flow control so the clients will slow down
production of those messages.

If I understand you correctly, we must also configure destination policies
for those external destinations on Broker 3. Otherwise, when Application 1
pushes back, Broker 3 would use 100% of its resources for that destination,
right?

Furthermore, I cannot just copy the destination policies: I need to
determine what percentage of Broker 3's resources will be used by
Application 1 and Application 2 messages.

Does that sound right?